Monday 29 July 2013

How I create Kids Book Illustrations

I'm always getting asked by people whats the process that you go through when you illustrate a Children's Book. So today I decided to post  a step by step guide which will allow you to see the process from the start to published result. This is taken from a children's book I illustrated called "My Country"



Step One 
The publisher gives you a blank layout of the book with just the story in it, Once I've read the book, I select the overall main theme of each page, in this case (page 20) it's about Oliver standing on the toilet making a declaration . 





Step two 
It's now time to draw some rough sketches to capture the theme. I use my Wacom Cintiq and sketchbook pro to do the roughs. Once I'm happy with a sketch (and the art director is as well) I move the sketch into Adobe Illustrator to prepare for the final illustration.


Step Three 
I complete the final illustration in Adobe Illustrator and the send the completed illustrations off to the publisher.







Step four 

 Now the book has been published sit back and enjoy it!




Enjoy and I'll see you next week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment